Monday, August 1, 2011

No longer running Linux on the Averatec laptop

I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal a few weeks ago and its been terrible since then.

It detected the proper screen size, unlike Mature Marsupial or whatever 10.10 was called, but refuses to detect the right refresh rate. It insists on applying 70Hz instead of 60Hz. It shouldn't even matter for an LCD screen, but it does.

Also, any time I try to play a video, I get sound, but no image and clicking on anything causes X to crash and restart.

I don't feel like messing with it. It was working fine for a long time and now this.

I'm putting Windows 7 on it instead.

I've already had trouble getting it installed. It doesn't auto-detect the WiFi card and the Averatec website only has old drivers for Windows XP. I had to hit up the RaLink website and find a driver from there. Select the link for RT2500.

No comments:

Post a Comment